The YMCA is a volunteer organization. The Y was founded by volunteers, is led by volunteers, and our Y has more volunteers than paid staff. Some countries operate with only volunteers, but in the United States a partnership exists between volunteers and paid staff. We conduct background checks on both volunteers and paid staff.
Ways to volunteer:
- One time project – come once for a specific project, special event, etc.
- On-going regular scheduled position – help in the pool, coach a sports team, read to kids, help teach a fitness class, etc.
- Fulfill a school or work requirement – fulfill a certain number of hours as determined by your school or work
- Fulfill a community service requirement – fulfill a certain number of hours as determined by a court or mediation
Types of volunteers:
- Board Members – board volunteer, board committee member, board trustee, etc.
- Special Event Volunteers – Pear Blossom Run, Healthy Kids Day, Family Nights, Water Safety Day, etc.
- Program Volunteers – classroom helper, youth center assistant, physical education assistant, group exercise instructor, swim lesson instructor, water fitness instructor, youth sports coach, referee, climbing gym attendant, camp counselor, special activity instructor, registered nurse, etc.
- Membership Volunteers – Welcome Center volunteer, YMCA Ambassador, housekeeper, groundskeeper, etc.
To apply for a current volunteer position please print, complete, and submit a Volunteer Registration. All applicants must successfully pass a background check. We follow the State of Oregon Department of Education guidelines for background checks.